Mon - Fri 9:00am-5:00pm
Talk To Us Now

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How is Housh Tax Law different from other legal firms?

At Housh Tax Law, our founder’s unique dual qualification as both an attorney and an enrolled agent sets us apart. This rare combination gives us a comprehensive understanding of the intricacies of tax law and the procedural nuances of representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service and State Taxing Agencies. As a tax attorney, he possesses the legal expertise to navigate complex tax controversies, offer strategic litigation support, and provide authoritative legal advice. Simultaneously, his status as an enrolled agent empowers him with a deep knowledge of tax regulations and the practical skills to ensure optimal tax compliance and advocacy during audits, collections, and appeals. Furthermore, the EA license allows Chris to represent taxpayers in all 50 states.  With these combined capabilities, clients receive a holistic, aggressive, and informed representation, maximizing their chances of favorable resolutions in tax matters.

What is tax controversy, and how is it different from general tax advice?

Tax controversy refers to disputes between taxpayers and taxing authorities, such as the IRS. While general tax advice provides guidance on how to comply with the law, tax controversy deals with issues that arise when there is a disagreement about the amount of tax owed, interpretations of the tax code, or other tax-related matters. Our firm represents and advises taxpayers during audits, appeals, and litigation related to these disputes.

I've received a notice from the IRS or the FTB. What should I do next?

Receiving a notice from the IRS or the State of California can be concerning, but it’s important to act promptly. First, carefully read the notice to understand what it says. If you’re unsure or believe there may be an error, consulting with a tax attorney experienced in tax controversies is crucial. We can help you understand the notice, evaluate your options, and determine the best course of action.

Do you represent taxpayers before multiple tax agencies?

Yes.  Often tax disputes and tax problems require representation before multiple agencies.   Housh Tax Law acts as a legal representative and advocates for taxpayers facing issues with various tax agencies, including the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and California Tax Agencies:  Employment Development Department (EDD), California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), Franchise Tax Board (FTB), Department of Industrial Labor Relations (DILR), Office of Tax Appeals (OTA), and taxing agencies outside of California. We represent taxpayers in communications and negotiations with these agencies, assist in resolving tax disputes, and represent taxpayers in administrative hearings and court proceedings.

What if I can't afford to pay my tax liability? Are there any options?

If you’re unable to pay your tax liability in full, there are several options available. Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for an installment agreement, an offer in compromise, or even a penalty abatement. Our firm can assess your situation, advise on the best approach, and help negotiate these arrangements with the taxing authority.